Semi-permanent makeup is here to stay – literally, and I’ve taken the plunge with microblading at Twiink Studio.
What is microblading?
Microblading is a semi-permanent technique, which creates the illusion of thicker, fuller eyebrows. It’s done using a small, handheld tool made of several tiny needles, which deposit pigment onto the skin.
Microblading is often likened to having brows tattooed onto the face but unlike tattooing, the pigment does not reach deep layers of skin. Microblading is not a permanent process because color remains on the surface of skin and usually fades within 18 months.
Two different aesthetics can be achieved; realistic, natural hair strokes or microshading, which creates the effect of ombre powder brows for a softer look. Depending on your preference, a combination of the both techniques can be applied.
What actually happens when you get microblading?
I booked my appointment at Twiink Studio allowing a three-hour window for the service. It usually takes two to three hours to complete and here’s how it went down…
1. I completed a checklist about my general health and signed a liability waiver. It covered things like allergies and underlying health conditions that might affect the outcome of the service. The technician, Dinara, spoke to me directly about my answers before proceeding.
2. The technician assembled the tools in my presence. She explained that the needles are used only once and that it was company policy for me to see her obtain and prep a new needle.
3. Numbing. A topical ointment was applied to my brows for about 30 minutes to help with any discomfort during the procedure.
4. Brow prep. My natural brows were shaped and honed. Then, Dinara used tools to measure the area around my brows. Finally, she outlined the shape of what would become my refined eyebrows taking into account my face shape, symmetry and other factors.
This was a slow process of measuring, drawing, analyzing and tweaking to get things just right. We also discussed color and I was able to look at the shape and give final approval before proceeding.
5. Needling. The needling process is similar to tattooing. The tool buzzed as Dinara made superficial strokes in my skin to insert pigment. She made several passes over the area and re-applied the numbing agent. This part of the process took about an hour. So how did it feel? It’s best described as a mild burning sensation, nothing unbearable.
6. Dinara cleaned and inspected the area and explained how I should care for my new semi-permanent brows going forward.
Over the next three days I was told to expect my eyebrows to heal over with flaky scabs that will come off on their own; Absolutely no picking or scratching and I should avoid getting them wet. The final color and shape will also mature and be revealed in about 30 days. At which point, I will have a follow-up session with Dinara for touch ups.
How much does microblading cost?
Twiink Studio offers microblading for AED 2000, which includes one follow-up visit. This investment gives you brows that last for 12 to 18 months so in my opinion, it’s totally worth it. For a limited time only (Until December 31, 2020) you can avail a 20% discount by using my code. Just mention ‘Tamara20’ when you book.
Microblading is great because your brows stay put for a lot longer but if you’ve got commitment issues, try other brow services at Twiink. Here’s how it went when I did shaping and tinting.