Canon Middle East, a leader in imaging solutions launched its’ exciting collection of consumer products in the region. The regional launch event, creatively themed – ‘Perfect Pictures this Summer, Whatever Happens’, was held at the Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al Sahel Villa Resort in Abu Dhabi and this was no ordinary event. The two day, one night excursion was packed with fun-filled activities including a wildlife safari drive and a cookery class where guests were able to test the new Canon products. We produced images and videos that captured mesmerizing moments. My best shots are included in this post. Keep reading to see just how good they are.
About Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al Sahel Villa Resort
Set amid the distinctive beauty of the desert, Anantara Al Sahel Villa Resort is an elegant oasis within the island’s rugged environment. It features 30 private villas and a backdrop that includes more than 13,000 free-roaming animals. It’s common to catch rare glimpses of grazing gazelles and other island inhabitants from anywhere on the property (click here for more info). Each villa offers luxury amenities with an authentic touch, featuring traditional thatch-roofed design and high levels of elegance and comfort. The Anantara Al Sahel Villa Resort and facilities create private, luxury spaces amid unparalleled natural wonder, making it one of the leading eco-friendly luxury resorts Abu Dhabi has to offer. Kudos to Canon and their PR team for choosing such a beautiful place for us to enjoy and photograph.
Canon’s New Line Up
The latest collection includes hero models such as the EOS 1200D, PowerShot G1 X Mark II, PowerShot SX 700, IXUS 155, LEGRIA mini X and PIXMA iP 8740 within the DSLR, DSC, DVC and Inkjet product categories. Keeping reading for overviews, basic specs and to see the quality of photo you can capture with each device.
Designed for first-time DSLR owners who want impressive results straight out of the box, the EOS 1200D combines Canon’s world class imaging system with a suite of easy-to-use controls and automatic shooting modes. This was the first product that I tested. I recall picking it up from the table and being pleasantly surprised by how lightweight this DSLR is; a great improvement by Canon. Shooting with this camera was the most natural and seamless for me as I already use a DSLR. Key features include:
- A new EOS companion app and easy-to-navigate quick start guide, which makes it easy to learn about the camera’s button layout and features.
- The app provides a range of expert tutorials and step-by-step exercises to take you through photography basics at a pace to suit you, with an ‘Inspire’ section suggesting combinations of popular subjects such as pets or people, with photographic instructions, such as information about speed or perspective. The app also features a troubleshooting guide to provide helpful tips on improving your photos and combating the most common type of problems, such as blurry or overexposed images, as well as tips on composition for groups and landscapes.
- A range of easy-to-use features including Scene Intelligent Auto, Video Snapshot and Creative Filters which ensure high quality stills and videos with the touch of a button
PowerShot G1 X Mark II
A new flagship compact camera, the PowerShot G1 X Mark II delivers the best imaging performance ever seen in a Canon compact camera. With DSLR-like image quality and portability like a compact PowerShot, it makes the perfect addition to any professional kitbag. Engineered using photographer feedback, it introduces new capabilities that offer outstanding performance and control. This is the camera I was most excited about using. It truly is a hybrid between a DSLR and a compact. When you don’t feel like carrying a larger DSLR but still want great quality photos, the PowerShot G1 X Mark II is what you reach for. The zoom on this camera is phenomenal and I took my best shots of the day using it. Key features include:
- A large 1.5-type Canon CMOS sensor delivers shallow depth of field comparable to an APS-C size DSLR sensor and makes it ideal for professional-looking portrait and macro photography
- A new super-bright f/2.0-3.9 lens, which maintains a wide f/3.9 aperture even when fully zoomed, delivering excellent low-light performance and the ability to control depth of field.
- Fully-customizable Dual Lens Control Rings make it easier and quicker to achieve the desired photographic result. The ergonomically placed Step and Continuous Rings deliver reassuring control of parameters in increments, including zoom, aperture and shutter speed.
- An improved AiAF System with 31 AF points compared to the PowerShot G1X’s nine, improving the camera’s ability to lock onto subjects accurately when creating images with shallow depth of field.
PowerShot SX700 HS
Combining Canon’s leading lens innovations with an expertly-engineered 34.8mm thin body, the PowerShot SX700 HS is ideal for capturing special moments in the quality they deserve. A precision-engineered, ultra-wide angle 25mm lens offers the flexibility to capture a beautiful sweeping countryside vista, while the impressive focal length – 30x zoom – also delivers the freedom to zoom in on detail in the distance. Zoom, zoom, and more zoom! That’s what this revised compact camera from Canon is all about. I recall that we were behind two other safari jeeps when we spotted an ostrich. Being so far away, I was worried that I may not get a good shot. Then I remembered, I can zoom in. Check out the beautiful shot below…
The LEGRIA mini X boasts an innovative design that gives users the freedom to explore their creativity. Compact and light enough to take anywhere for spontaneous shooting, the device’s unique combination of an f/2.8 170° ultra-wide angle lens, built-in stand and vari-angle 6.8cm (2.7”) touchscreen LCD screen makes it easy to capture footage from a range of angles¹. With the flexibility to record completely hands-free, it enables users to easily participate in their own work, or simply gives greater freedom in directing and shaping scenes.
In my opinion, this is the most innovative product in Canon’s new releases. It’s disruptive in that it changes the way people can take video. You’re no longer restricted to being behind the camera or in front of it, only when someone else is shooting. Furthermore, It takes you away from the bland tripod setup because it’s small, portable and can literally go anywhere. The LEGRIA literally fits in the palm of my hand. I had the pleasure of using the LEGRIA mini X to record my team in the cookery class show down. Check it out our combined on the Canon ME Facebook Page.
About Canon Middle East Canon Middle East, a subsidiary of Canon Europe, is the operational headquarters for Canon in the Middle East and North Africa and is based in Dubai, UAE. Founded in 1937 with the specific goal of making the best quality camera available to customers, Canon’s tireless passion for the Power of Image has since extended its technology into many other markets and has established it as a world leader in both consumer and business imaging solutions. Its solutions comprise products, ranging from digital compact and SLR cameras, through broadcast lenses and portable X-ray machines, to multi-function and production printers, all supported by a range of value added services. Canon invests heavily in R&D to deliver the richest and most innovative products and services to satisfy customers’ creative needs. From amateur photographers to professional print companies, Canon enables each customer to realize their own passion for image. Canon believes that considering the interests of society and the environment is an integral part of good business practice. This is embodied in its corporate philosophy Kyosei – ‘To live and work together for the common good’. Further information about Canon Middle East is available at: www.canon-me.com.